Adding printers to Intune seems like it would be a simple and effortless process. And thankfully, it is. In this blog post i will walk you through how to add / deploy printers to devices through Intune.
In this scenario, we will create a new device configuration profile, of the type “Device Restrictions”
- Navigate to portal.azure.com and click on Intune.
- Click on Device Configuration
- Click on Profiles and then click on “Create Profile”
- Give the profile a name.
- For the platform select – “Windows 10 and later“
- Profile Type – Select “Device Restrictions”
- From the menu that opens(if it doesn’t open, click on settings) scroll down and click on “Printer”
- Where it says “Printer DNS name” enter the name of the printer that you wish to add in the format of \\Servername\Printername
- An example of this can be seen in the image below.
Once the above profile has been completed, click ok out of the menus and save your profile.
Now all thats required is for you to assign the profile to your target group.
Once the profile has been assigned and devices have synced with Intune, you will be able to see the printers which have been added through the devices and printers menu in control panel.
Should you set a default printer through Intune?
Due to the way that many offices function, choosing whether to have a printer set as default via Intune is something that should be considered carefully.
If you choose to have a default printer set via intune, its important to consider that, if a user changes their default printer to something of their preference, then this setting will not stick.
And as soon as the Intune policy syncs again, it will be reverted to whatever is set in the policy.
Thank you for reading.